Tuesday, August 12, 2008

RIP Betty

For once, I'm finding it hard to write.

A good friend of mine passed away. Betty Ho. Her son Arnie just called to tell me the news. Betty was fighting lung cancer. She was diagnosed earlier this year. Years ago, she fought breast cancer and won. When I was diagnosed, she quickly came to my door with hugs, tears, some head coverings, a cheque, and her support.

I met Betty through the Chinese Canadian Historical Society. She was one of the 24 participants in a workshop that I organized and facilitated. She had such an incredible passion for writing and learning. Despite our age difference, she was like a sister to me--a kindred spirit. My heart is breaking right now.

When I was ending my chemo and beginning radiation, Betty was beginning her chemo. She wanted to take me to the labyrinth at St. Paul's Anglican Church as a meditation exercise. Sadly, I never got to go with her as we both had such busy schedules. I'd like to go now, for her and with her in spirit.

Here's a picture of our workshop way back in March 2007. Betty is standing beside me in the front row.

Rest in peace, Betty. I love you.



1 comment:

Victoria said...

so sorry for your loss :(